Pearl of the South
The province was formerly known as Tayabas. In 1591, Tayabas was created into a province under the name of Kalilayan. On 12 March 1902, the civil government was established in Tayabas with Lucena as its capital. On 12 June 1902, the district of Principe, formerly under Nueva Ecija, the district of Infanta, including Polillo which was under Laguna and Marinduque as a separate province were annexed to Tayabas. Tayabas was among the first provinces to rise up in arms against Spain. At the close Filipino-American hostilities, a civil government was established in the province in 1901, and Lucena was appointed the capital.
Quezon Province is located to the south of Baguio. Its provincial capital Lucena City, is of no particular interest but to the east of Lucena is the Quezon National Park. Although wood is chopped down to fuel the limestone - grinding mills on the north side of the park, there is still a great deal of virgin jungle standing, which is a real delight to walk through. With a bit of luck, visitors might spot a hornbill or meet a troop of mischievous monkeys. Southeast of Lucena, faces a pair of islands, Pagbilao Grande and Pagbilao Chico. Wind and water have hollowed out many small caves in these coral islands. There is a legend which says they were born of a Romeo-Juliet love affair between the wind-god and a beautiful mortal. On the other hand, an all-too-real sucide was committed on Pagbilao Chico by hundreds of stranded Japanese in World War II. To escape the shame of captivity they leapt to their death from Estamper Point.
Considered as the country's sixth largest province, Quezon abounds with numerous potential and exiting tourist attractions.
The nearest town of Quezon from Manila is Tiaong, which is only about one hour and 3 minutes away over good road. The town will most likely awe its visitors with its attractions, both developed (Villa Excudero) and almost untouched
The mystical Mt. Banahaw continues to attract not only pilgrims but curious travelers as well. Farther down south, one can have a choice between the forest of Quezon National Park and the beaches of the coastal towns which dot the province.
Brief history. Quezon was at one time under the jurisdiction of various provinces. In 1585, the central protion was divided between Laguna and Nueva Ecija, while the other portion was divided between the provinces of Mindoro, Marinduque and Camarines.
In 1591, Tayabas was created into a province under the name of Kalilayan. On March 12, 1902, the civil government was established in Tayabas with Lucena as its capital. On June 12, 1902, the district of Principe, formerly under Nueva Ecija, and the district of Infanta, including Polillo which was under Laguna, were annexed to Tayabas. On September 7, 1946, Tayabas was renamed Quezon Province.
Malagunlong Bridge (Tayabas). It is considered to be the oldest one in the town which was built by the Spanish colonizers. However, it is not very clear if it was constructed before or after the town church which was built in 1585.
Kutang San Diego (Spanish Fort). Located at the town proper of Gumaca near the pear. The only remaining structure built under the supervision of Franciscan priests during the later part of the 18th Century. It was erected to help guard the town against sea pirates who may invade the area.
Iskong Bantay Watchtower (Atimonan town proper). It was built by the Spanish authorities as a watchtower to warn the townsfolk of Atimonan of impending attack of pirates from the sea.
Minor Basilica of St. Michael d'Archangel. Having a length of 103 meters, it is the longest Spanish colonial church in the Philippines. It was first built in 1585.
Casa de Cumunidad was built as a tribunal by Gobernadorcillo Francisco Lopes in 1776.First made of male shift materials, it became a lavish edifice in 1837.It was finally renovated under Executive Orders 2601 in 1973 and 375 in 1974.The building was declared a National Historical Landmark on June 1,1978.
San Antonio de Alcala Park (Maharlika Highway, Gumaca). The park features a promenade area facing Lamon Bay and the neighboring island of Alabat.
Pahiyas sa Lucban, Quezon - A colorful festival highlighted by the procession of San Isidro Labrador. The people of this picturesque town decorates their houses with crafts such as kiping, hats and suman as a thanksgiving to the patron Saint for countless blessings and bountiful harvest.