Philippine Travel Blog Rotating Header Image

Vigan Empanada Recipe

Hello there! Are you now planning for your next Summer Vacation in the Philippines? Checkout our list of Hotels in the Philippines for your accommodation needs.

vigan empanadaEmpanada is one of my favorite street food in Vigan, Just walk around and you will see empanada merienda everywhere. If in case you want to try cooking empanada for your friends…..

Below are the ingredients and easy-to-follow steps.

Ingredients:

(For casing): rice flour, egg or longganisa, orange food color, water, oil (for greasing), oil (for frying)

(For filling): grated green papaya (blanched & squeezed with salt to extract bitter taste), parboiled mongo, salt, ground pepper (optional), monosodium glutamate (MSG), garlic, vinegar-chili dip

Procedure:

1. Using the basic piecrust preparation technique, prepare the rice-flour wrapper

2. For the filling, sauté garlic in small amount of oil.

3. Add grated papaya, cooked and shelled mongo, salt, pepper, and monosodium glutamate to enhance taste.

4. Cook until done. Set aside.

5. Spoon out 2-3 tablespoon filling and add a piece of fresh egg or longganisa into prepared rice flour wrappers.

6. Seal the sides. Deep fry in a preheated frying pan with oil for 10-15 minutes.

Serve hot with vinegar-chili dip.

Incoming search terms:

• ilocos empanada recipe
  • vigan empanada recipe
  • vigan empanada
  • empanada ilocos recipe
  • paano gumawa ng empanada
  • ilocos empanada dough recipe
  • empanada vigan recipe
  • vigan empanada dough recipe
  • ilocano empanada recipe
  • how to make vigan empanada

12 Comments

1. Roxie says:

I am so grateful for the recipe for the Vigan empanada. It has been 8 years since I have first tried it during a visit to Vigan for my graduating class seminar.

Its taste has been long awaited for.

2. Mary says:

I can’t wait to try it. Any chance of getting the recipe for babinka (not sure of the spelling) – the place right next to the stalls that sell this. It was the most delicious thing I ever tasted!

3. nagimas ti mangan ti Vigan Empanada.

4. bessgarcia says:

I love your vigan langonisa. Can you give me the contact nos. of the vigan langonisa

Many thanks

5. Mark Pris says:

Hello, your website is very informative and useful,
    I would like to share with you links, send all the questions
    on my e-mail.

6. hayok sa empanada says:

ang sarap nito, parang naka-sampung babae sa isang gabi ang lasa ! champion ng buhay ko !!!!!

7. javi agustin says:

im from vigan i really love vigan empanada but i too far to go there and eat empanadas so plese give mi the complete recipe of vigan empanada and how to make the dough pls pls email me..ksi wala po kming empanada dto sa italy eh pinagmamalaki namin n masarap ang vigan empadana gusto nila tikman eh hindi namin alam gumawa lalo n ung dough nya so please gie us para may maipagmalaki naman ang mga ilocano dito sa italya

8. ciena says:

thanks, been so long that I am looking for this recipe, I am very much excited to cook empanada for my husband because it is his favorite…. we do not need to go to ilocos terminals to eat… thanks a lot!

9. Myra says:

thanks for the procedure,, my father-in-law grown up in Ilocos.. When my husband and I visit Ilocos Norte.. We eat vigan empanada on the street while waiting for our bus. I love the taste of it.. My husband decided to cook for us the vigan empanada, but unfortunately, the taste is not the same as the vigan empanada we ate in Laoag City.. by this procedure and recipe, we can make a vigan empanada well… thanks…

10. jeremy says:

pls..pakisend nga po ung complete na recipe ng vigan empanada…pati naring ung casing nya kung paano gawin tnx…

11. This is one of my favorite bread. I first tasted this when we visited the beautiful beaches of La Union, Philippines. There is that so-called “sari-sari” store that sells this stuff; we bought some of it and wow!…really taste good along with a soda coke. I will definitely buy this bread again the next time I will visit Philippines. Thanks for the post!

12. machelle2012 says:

just go to Mac’s Deli “Original” Vigan Empanada at Tiendesitas, SM Mall of Asia and Cash & Carry….no need to go to Vigan….it’s the best!!!!….check them out on Facebook